Sunday, February 15, 2015

Social Media and The Grammy's

So, besides Pinterest, I am also a lover of music. It's my most favorite thing to keep up with and keep an eye out for, so naturally I had to watch the Grammy's last Sunday. It was an awesome show full of great performances, awesome speeches, and fabulous fashion. While watching the Grammy's though, I did find myself going on Twitter and Instagram during commercial breaks to see behind the scenes stuff from celebrity accounts and to just see what people were saying about different wins and performances. In that one night I found myself starting to follow celebrities I hadn't followed before on Instagram like Meghan Trainor and John Legend. I ran into this article on AdWeek.com titled "Did the Grammy Awards Give Nominees a Social Media Bump?" When I first read the title I thought, of course it did! Everyone is suddenly going to be a fan of the winners and want to follow who they are and their music! This article said that it didn't. At least not for big winning celebrities like Sam Smith. On the website they posted this infograph showing some stats recorded by StatSocial:


The data that was collected showed that the big winner Sam Smith didn't grow much on social media but other new artists who were nominated for Record of the Year got a big increase over Grammy Weekend. I find it so interesting how that happened. I wonder if it's because people didn't know who these artists were and were curious? Or maybe they are mad that a particular artist didn't win and decided to comment on it? Either way, it's fun to see that even for music awards, social media still has a great affect on artists and the industry. The more people follow them or tweet about them, the greater chances they might just have to make an even more successful album in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment