Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Hostess...Whyyyyy?!

So, as many men out there may know, yesterday was opening day for Major League Baseball. I am the type of girl who wouldn't know about this glorious day, but I am the daughter of a huge Red Sox fan, so the MLB was a big topic of discussion in my house yesterday.

Before I started taking my Social Media Marketing class, I never paid much attention to how companies use days like this to promote their brand and product. Yesterday I saw a live feed of opening day on my Snapchat and it has also been all over my Twitter. Before, I probably would've just kept scrolling and not pay much attention, but now I actually like to see what companies are doing. So while I was scrolling along I see an "oh no they didn't" moment made by Hostess.

Here is the picture they posted on their Twitter account:

Embedded image permalink

With the caption: It's here and we couldn't be filled with more sweet joy.

When I first saw the picture I thought it was so cute (and yummy looking) but when I actually read it, I had to pause and think. Suddenly I was like "wait, football has touchdowns, not baseball". It's hard to tell if this was intentional or not but either way it grabbed a lot of attention. Different people started to respond, even Sports Illustrated Magazine. They re tweeted the post and said, "Pssssst, @Hostess_Snacks, we think you might be mixing up your sports". Although this is a pretty big mix-up, I guess it's become more funny than a catastrophic mistake. When companies make mistakes like these, you usually see them delete the tweet or try to hide it, but Hostess has kind of just kept rolling with it. So maybe it was intentional? Either way, Hostess, you made a mistake, it's a home run, but I would still like that cupcake. haha.

Some additional comments regarding post was found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment